My first introduction into the world of playdates was a few short months ago. I joined a neighborhood mom group for babies under 1. They meet twice a month and whoever volunteers, gets to host the play date.
On Monday, it was our turn. Riya and I hadn't been to a playdate in over a month, so I was happy to host and catch up with the ladies. Apparently there were lots of new moms that joined during my absence and the normal 5-6 turnout was quickly turning into 11-12. My anxiety level soared.
I didn't know how everyone would fit nor had I baby proofed! I could just picture everyone
tsking their way through my house. I don't want to be the topic of conversation for the next month. I would just die. In all fairness, Riya
just started crawling, so I had no reason to baby proof. So the best I could do on short notice was buy a stash of outlet covers. Crisis
averted. (Though some moms took it upon themselves to eyeball every inch of my house and offered unsolicited opinions of what I MUST baby proof. I will save this for another post).
The days leading up to the playdate, I got several texts from moms saying they are new to the Dubai and don't know a soul and asked if they could join. My heart went out to them. I remember that feeling...it wasn't too long ago that I was in the same predicament.
Well, we survived! I don't know how we fit 11 babies in our play area, but we did it! Riya was a good host except towards the end. I think seeing a bunch of babies play with her toys and all up in her space for the first time was a bit overwhelming. I can't say I blame her.
 |
| Calm before the storm |
 |
| The goody table :) |
 |
| The back of Riya's head, loll |
 |
| Only managed to get half the crowd |
Wow, that's one fancy playdate you've got there. Our play group has taken to just buying a box of donuts to share:) We are lazy moms! There is also a lot of age variation in our group (4-8 months) so it's totally understandable when the mom of a 4month old hosts and her house isn't baby proofed yet. Shake those haters off! Babies are gonna come into contact with non-baby proofed spaces constantly. Glad you are finding a group of mom's to hang out with. It sure makes this mommy thing easier!
ReplyDelete