This week marks the start of the Royal Ascot. The Royal Ascot is an annual horse race that lasts for 5 days and takes place in Ascot, Berkshire (1.5 hours outside of London). Always attended by the Royal family, this is one of the major social events of the year in the UK. The tradition dates back to 1711!
One of these five days is called Ladies Day. Dedicated to, you guessed it, the Ladies. This is a social event just for the Ladies to get all dressed up and wear those fabulous hats. But its not that simple...there is a dress code. Your dress must be a certain length, and no sleeveless allowed! Hats are required and there are restrictions on the diameter and overall size of your hat! I'm guessing they don't want anyone upstaging the Royal family:)
Who wouldn't want to spend a day all dressed up smoozing and boozing (sparkling for me:p) with London socialites and the Royal family?! I was dying to attend Ladies Day when I found out about it but sadly it wasn't in the cards for me this year. Ram is traveling for work. Boo.
Next year I'm going to make it happen!
So in honor of Ladies Day, I leave you with these pictures from previous years:
 |
SOURCE A Royal procession each day before the race begins |
No comments:
Post a Comment