Wednesday, 7 August 2013

Ramadan in Dubai

Ramadan is the ninth month of the Islamic lunar calendar and is one of the most important months for Muslims as it is believed this is the month that the Qu'ran was first revealed to the Prophet Mohammed. Muslims fast from dawn until sunset throughout the entire month and refrain from consuming anything during that time. Nothing is allowed to touch the lips during the fasting period. That includes water and cigarettes. I've fasted before, but no water? No bueno.

Even though the Muslim population is smaller than the non-Muslims, the entire city changes and adapts. Restaurants and food courts are closed and only a few will offer take away only during the day. Most places also refrain from serving alcohol for the entire month (we got our liquor license just in time!). The few restaurants that stay open or even offer take away service are screened off or blacked out from public view. Your car and office space are considered public spaces, so no consumption can take place there. Many corporations provide a blackout out room where their non-fasting employees can enjoy lunch guilt-free. Heavy fines are awarded for those who violate the rules. Luckily, Ram and I missed half of Ramadan while we were visiting Houston. But since we've been back, it's definitely been an adjustment. I can't grab that water bottle to go while I'm running errands. I can't enjoy my snack while perusing through the store. Being pregnant during Ramadan hasn't been easy.

Everyday at sunset however, the landscape completely changes. Restaurants open their doors for Iftar (breaking fast) and stay open till 2am daily. Iftars in Dubai are quite glamorous. Many hotels will build special air conditioned tents that can hold up to 900 people and offer an arabic style buffet for their guests to gorge on until the wee hours of the night, along with entertainment and shisha. This is one from the Atlantis Hotel and Resort:

SOURCE
We figured we might as well partake in this tradition and see what its all about since Ramadan is coming to an end this weekend. We were deciding between a tent at the Atlantis Hotel and a restaurant at the Burj Al Arab. Since we've been to Atlantis in general before, we figured we should take advantage and finally see the elusive the Burj Al Arab (world's only self-proclaimed 7-star hotel). The hotel does not allow anyone to enter without a restaurant or bar reservation, so it's nearly impossible to just go "see" it.  So when we saw they had availability, we jumped at the chance.

You have to cross a bridge to get to the hotel as it sits right on the ocean. The views outside were spectacular: 




However, that sentiment was left at the front door. The food and service were excellent, but the decor inside was very disappointing. It was uncharacteristically gaudy in the lobby and restaurant and when we went to Skybar, it was like we turned back time to the 80's:

Almost every establishment has some sort of water feature. This hotel was no exception

The ceiling


Nice ocean view from our dinner table

Part of the buffet

Skybar (NOTE: if you do not dine at the hotel, you have to spend a minimum of $60-75/pp at the bar, which is easy since each drink costs on average about $30)
Panoramic view of the city from Skybar 


I got SO excited when I saw this pink Ferrari! 
I'm glad we got to check this hotel off our list. I'm sure the actual rooms are gorgeous, but I don't really care to go back. I kind of wish we had gone to the tent at the Atlantis because it looked gorgeous, but oh well, there's always next year!


1 comment:

  1. I bet it is hard being pregnant during Ramadan. I always have my water and s snack nearby. The buffet for breaking fast sounds awesome, and what a cool cultural experience!

    ReplyDelete