Wednesday, 30 May 2012

St Cyrus, Sandy Beaches and Nature

So yesterday I went along on a hike to St Cyrus, about 45 minutes outside of Aberdeen.  Unfortunately our week long 65 degrees and sunny weather was gone and it was back to 50 degrees and chilly.  I'm thankful it didn't rain or hail this time.  I enjoyed walking along the sandy beach and then hiking in the area around it.  It was an awesome workout with a calming view.  The beach was actually clean and the water was definitely not the dirty south brown I'm used to seeing (haha).

St Cyrus has a rich history, dating back to the 14th century.  Few interesting facts of note, the sea claimed a castle built in the 15th century.  There was also an old graveyard in the middle of the nature reserve.  The graveyard is home to a famous poet, George Beattie, who died in 1823.  It was quite sad to see some of the tombstones were for children that died at a very young age.  I think the youngest tomb I saw was for a 7 year old girl and the oldest for a 33 year old man (eek).  I guess 33 was like 80 back in those days.

The area now is cultivated mostly for farming and the like.  Although we did see a sign that said to watch for toads on the road which I thought was hilarious.  I guess toads are vital to the farming community!

Next on the agenda is our vacay in sunny Barcelona.  Well, holiday for me and work for Ramji:) Almost a fortnight away!  I can't wait to go back there.  Mmmm, I can just taste the Sangria.....





 





1 comment: